Saturday, December 5, 2020

The Selena Netflix Series Review

Hello Selena Fans,

The Selena Netflix Series has arrived!



I just finished watching the Selena Netflix Series in one day. As a Selena fan it was an emotional series. I had to pause a lot to narrow my thoughts and excitement. I watched Christian Serratos on AMC's The Walking Dead and so I'm familiar with the actress. I've read the good (and the not so good) reviews on the Selena series. And this is totally my opinion so keep that in mind. As a young girl growing up Selena was a deep inspiration for me and she paved the way and opened many doors for other artists as well. No one can really replace that it was special moment that we had with her and she left a beautiful legacy. We have to appreciate the actors on the Selena series and their performances it was a moment in time for Selena fans and it was something new and fresh that we never seen from the actual Selena movie. 


In the series we got great detail on her life as a young girl rising to stardom and how it was difficult start. In interviews that I seen because I did a lot of research on how the family described her and how Chris described his wife. Her family knew her as a very shy young girl with big dreams. This shed light on her growing to become the Selena we knew today and didn't really get in the movie. So that being said I enjoyed the series, but there were parts that I did not love as a Selena fan. 

I read some negative reviews on Christian's look in the series and how she does not resemble Selena. To be honest no one can be Selena or even resemble her she was and still is an icon today. The actress is portraying her life and her story she did a good job giving us that. Is she going to look 100% like Selena No. But in my opinion she looked more like Selena than Jennifer Lopez did in the movie. Christian gave us that image of Selena and her style with certain characteristics. Also keep in mind Christian plays a young shy Selena and that's something we never got to see from the movie. Selena's younger her hair is shorter different from the 90s Selena. I love the part in the series of her fashion sense and how it really came to life in a fabric store and her designing her own wardrobe on stage. I love that they touched upon her many looks and finding her own sense of style through the fame and she always stayed true to herself. 


There are scenes in the series which, I believe could have been left out. The scene when Selena did not want to record a song at the studio that Ab wrote instead she wanted to go to the fabric store. I personally think they could have taken out that scene. What are producers trying to say? Selena wasn't passionate about her music? Because on stage she sang from the heart. Selena was an artist known for her beautiful vocals and stage presence and I don't believe it was captured in the series as much especially in that scene. I just seemed very rushed and like Selena was a background character to her own story at times. The scenes with Ab, Suzette, and Abraham took most of the series and we get their important characters, but considering this is a (Selena) series. She is the main character and I was curious on her personal story as fan. Even Chris Perez's background story would of been nice to know more of since he is her love interest. The series wasn't that bad to watch as a fan, a few hits and misses. Also its a new way for Selena's new generation of fans to connect to her through this series.



A scene that I also did not like in the series was when Selena was singing "More Than Words" with Chris on Big Bertha and AB told them to stop. I think personally it was rude to tell her to stop singing on the bus that scene really confused me. She is the artist and I feel there was a lack of respect for from her sibling they seemed very selfish in the group. It seemed they wanted to have their own personal lives, but in a way she couldn't have her own. Which is probably where her love for fashion came in to find her own passion. Also her sister being able to date and rub in it in her face was kind of selfish I just don't know what to think of those scenes as fan. I think there is a struggle to find her own personal story through the family. It just seen very selfish even Suzette in the series asking about the money constantly it just took away from Selenas story. Also the love story between her and Chris. It's just a sad tragedy. 


The series has a few good scenes where they enlightens us on the story and the pressure of producing Selena's music and how hard it was on her brother. Her father Abraham, always being in control and we also saw that in the movie, but got to really see it in the show. We got to see more of Suzette and Selena's relationship bonding. Their life on the road on Big Bertha as Selena y Los Dinos. The family and the group as whole and how they came to together and had to make a lot sacrifices along the way. The family had a lot of say in the production of the Selena Series. As a Selena fan, we have to truly appreciate this moment and wait for the next Series to unfold.



No comments:

Post a Comment